Reimu NotMoe has designed the “Notkia” PCB primarily based on Ingenic X1000E MIPS processor with 64MB built-in RAM and following the very same dimensions because the PCB present in Nokia 168x telephones (1680, 1681, 1682), and permitting the telephone to run mainline Linux.
The board additionally comes with 32MB NOR flash, a 4GB SLC NAND flash, and helps LoRa, 2.4 GHz WiFi, Bluetooth, and GNSS connectivity, however no mobile modem.
Combining Nokia 168x telephone with Notkia PCBA creates a telephone with the next specs:
- SoC – Ingenic X1000E single-core XBurst MIPS processor @ 1.0 GHz (2200+ CoreMark) with 64MB RAM
- Storage – 32MB NOR flash + 4GB SLC NAND flash
- Show – 2.0-inch 240×320 IPS LCD, 3/4 seen (Replaces the unique 128×160 TFT display within the telephone)
- Digicam – 5MP digital camera with auto focus (solely accessible within the Nokia 1680 case)
- Audio – Yamaha MA-3 (YMU762) music synthesizer and common I2S PCM codec
- Wi-fi connectivity – LoRa, 2.4 GHz WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS + GLONASS.
- USB – 1x USB Sort-C port
- Misc – RGB LED, temperature & humidity sensor
- Energy Administration – BL-5C battery, battery administration answer from Texas Devices
- Dimensions – Nokia 168x form
The Ingenic processor was chosen due to its low energy consumption (0.3W operating the CoreMark benchmark), barely higher efficiency than a Raspberry Pi Zero, mainline Linux assist, and built-in RAM to save lots of PCB house, in addition to publicly accessible datasheets. The Notkia telephone may be seen in motion with demos exhibiting Unhealthy Apple animation and the LVGL music participant, however extra software program is required and a desktop atmosphere primarily based on LVGL seems to be within the works.
A venture log may be discovered on Hackaday.io, and the design will finally be made open-source underneath the CERN-OHL2-S license, however solely after an upcoming Crowd Provide marketing campaign has been accomplished. Some early prototypes with the Notkia PCB solely ought to be made accessible beforehand. One problem might be to search out Nokia 1680 enclosures to accommodate the PCB sooner or later, however the associated patents are scheduled to run out on June 23, 2023, at which level, it should turn out to be authorized to make circumstances with this design.
Jean-Luc began CNX Software program in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, earlier than quitting his job as a software program engineering supervisor, and beginning to write each day information, and critiques full time later in 2011.
Assist CNX Software program! Donate by way of PayPal or cryptocurrencies, turn out to be a Patron on Patreon, or purchase evaluation samples