There’s been an intense debate in my head ever since Nokia launched the brand new iteration of its traditional 3310.
“It’s actually low-cost,” shouts Nostalgia.
“Why the hell would you desire a cellphone that doesn’t have apps,” replies Logic.
Possibly that very same debate has been happening in your head too. Don’t fear, I went palms on with the system and now have sufficient info to settle issues…at the very least till the 3310 is offered for overview.
What you CAN do with the brand new Nokia 3310
- Telephone calls: generally we neglect that smartphones are additionally telephones and you should utilize them to name folks and discuss to them. HMD claims the battery of the brand new 3310 affords about 22 hours of lively use and about 744 hours (almost a month) on stand-by.
- Ship and obtain SMS.
- Photographs and movies: Admittedly with an terrible high quality digicam (2 MP with a LED flash). Don’t anticipate to make use of the 3310 as a digicam alternative like you’ll be able to with smartphones.
- Take heed to radio FM.
- Take heed to your individual music: The 33110 has a built-in MP3 participant, so you should buy an inexpensive microSD card and add your music library it. The 3310 additionally helps common headphones with a 3.5mm jack and wi-fi by way of Bluetooth 3.0, and the battery is meant to final 51 hours whereas taking part in music.
- Verify your calendar.
- Arrange an alarm to wake you up.
- Make voice notes and written notes: That includes utilizing its keyboard…which I don’t suggest.
- Use a calculator.
- Be taught in regards to the climate in your metropolis.
- Play video games: there are a couple of video games put in on the cellphone, together with a brand new model of Snake.
- Browse the online: The 3310 comes with a model of Opera browser and it’s REALLY gradual, as a result of it solely has assist for two.5G cell networks. (We’re presently on 4G and hopefully transferring onto 5G subsequent yr.) In some circumstances you may use the browser to seek the advice of one thing, however then you’ll keep in mind how gradual it’s and rethink. Moreover, the one method to scroll is utilizing the directional pad—which is simply as terrible as you’d suppose it might be.
What you CAN’T do with the brand new Nokia 3310
- Write messages in a quick and comfy method: put together your self to return to that “u rote ur txt in teh 90s”, since you’re going to want it. Writing in an alphanumeric keyboard feels bizarre after a decade break.
- Navigate with GPS: Or use something that has one thing to do with GPS, as a result of it isn’t included on this cellphone.
- Social networks: If you happen to’re making an attempt to surrender social media this can be a excellent cellphone, as a result of there are zero apps for accessing Twitter, Fb, Instagram and others.
- Chat: You possibly can’t set up any trendy messaging app. So neglect about WhatsApp, Telegram, Snapchat, Fb Messenger and something like them.
Who would need to use a Nokia 3310? If you happen to go touring it might preserve you accessible (as lengthy there’s a cell community accessible) for days with out the necessity of a charger, and it’s actually mild weight, so that you gained’t discover it taking over house in your bag. The brand new Nokia 3310 is also actually helpful for these grandparents that all the time appear to hate smartphones and solely desire a cellphone to name grandkids. Lastly, the 3310 could be an actual success in prisons. Moreover it’s purportedly nice battery life, it’s small and has good spherical sides that counsel it might be simple to cover it in actually tight locations.
What I actually need to know is that if it’s as resistant as its predecessor. We all know it isn’t waterproof, however may it survive a large fall like Nokia’s previous telephones?It kinda appears prefer it may, and it feels prefer it too, however we gained’t know till we overview it when it’s accessible later this yr.